Long Term Impacts of Childhood Degradation with Elona Washington
Do you ever wonder how someone got to where they are? Or how they had the courage and tenacity to reclaim their life after being on a challenging trajectory?
- A glimpse into her childhood including incest perpetrated by a cousin (from age 5) and then other older boys as a young teenager.
- How she went from an IVY league education home to a stripper
- Lack of support from family members that were aware as well as from the community in general
- Internalizing the external messages of negative self-worth
- Finding a sense of belonging among other strippers where statistically 70% were also sexually abused before entering the industry
- Raising her emotionally healthy, strong children and how her children saved her
- Gravitating towards relationships that are familiar to you
- Changing her mindset as a first step to changing her lifestyle and embracing her self-worth
- How she helps strippers and other incest survivors today through her grassroots efforts, her speaking and her book
- “From Ivy League to Stripper Life” by Elona Washington
- “Push” by Sapphire and the film “Precious” based off it
- Focus words – the most important word for the year or your project etc – to help streamline decisions, maintain perspective and center your efforts. Check out more at https://wellella.com/word-of-the-year/
- Visit us and give us a “Like” on Facebook. You can also post questions, comments and feedback about this episode.
- For more sensitive or personal questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (706) 216-5490
- If you’d like to be a guest on the podcast, whether you are an incest survivor ready to share your story or and expert wanting to enhance a topic, please set-up a 30 minute podcast guest initial chat.